Friday, January 23, 2009

The Decisive Moment Pt. 2


For me, it's harder to begin a good habit than it is to break a bad one. My girlfriend will constantly be slapping my hands to keep me from biting my nails but no matter how many times I tell myself to keep my camera ready to shoot for this assignment I just can't seem to pick up that habit. I have been getting better at trying to uphold this habit but only because I missed a really good opportunity for a photograph.
I was in Berkeley driving up Ashby avenue. I was stopped at a light when I saw a man who looked like Jesus if Jesus had all white body hair and wore a sweatsuit riding on a bicycle. He was riding the bike through the intersection with his arms above his head (a la Richard Nixon). Of course my camera was sitting in the back seat in the "off" position with the lens cap on and my windows were all rolled up. I scrambled like a rush hour soccer mom to simultaneously grab my camera, turn it on, roll down the window, get my light reading, and snap the picture but since I'm not The Flash, I missed the shot. That shot would have been perfect for this project.
Instead I got this shot of an antique shop which is a nice image but not what I was looking for.


2 comments:

  1. OMG - I have a compulsive habit of picking at my chapped lips. It is so true about habits. I think in order to break a bad one you have to replace it with a good one which IS the tough part. You have to be really conscious about making the habit stick, too.

    Just keep that camera at the ready and think, "here, eat this!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, eat this. lol. I'm feeling you on the camera not at the ready thing.

    ReplyDelete